Entry regime and visa requirements for foreigners entering Ukraine
Visas for entrance and transit through the territory of Ukraine are issued in accordance with the Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine «On Approval of the Rules for issuing visas to foreigners and stateless persons» No.567 dated on June 1st, 2011 http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/567-2011-%D0%BF), the Guide of the MFA of Ukraine for issuing visas for entrance and transit through the territory of Ukraine No.196 dated on June, 26, 2011 http://zakon1.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0983-11.
General Visa Requirements
We offer 15 days of visa processing which can be prolonged up to 30 calendar days in case of need of additional checks.
Otherwise, urgent procedure of visa processing up to 15 days can be applied upon paying double tariff.
Some countries are charged visa fees on RECIPROCAL BASIS (check the tariff at the appropriate Embassy of Ukraine)
FEES may be WAIVED or REDUCED for nationals of countries listed in intergovernmental bilateral agreements.
Visa processing starts only after we have registered your application and collected all necessary documents, including payment of visa fee.
FOR ALL VISAS THE FOLLOWING MUST BE SUBMITTED:
1. A national passport, valid for at least three months after the expiration date of the requested visa and having at least 2 blank visa designated pages;
2. Visa Application form (you will need Acrobat Reader to view or print these forms) per each passport holder – answered completely and legibly typed or printed in ink in block letters, dated and personally signed by the applicant.
3. 2 photos – recent, passport-sized, resembling applicant’s travel document photo.
4. Valid medical insurance and sufficient financial for the period of intended stay and return to the country of origin or transit to a third country or guaranty to obtain sufficient financial resources in Ukraine.
5. Together with all items listed above the following documents, each hereinafter referred to as “the supporting document”, related to the purpose of entry, must be submitted for visas.
Please note: The Consular office has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant. The latter is hereby informed that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee automatic issuance of the visa.
ACCORDING TO THE VISA REGULATION PROCEDURE ENTERED INTO THE FORCE SEPTEMBER 10, 2011:
Introduces three classes of visas:
1. Transit visa (VB), which will allow transit through the territory of Ukraine within the period of 5 days. Travelers can apply for one entry, two entries, as well as multiple entries within the period of one year.
2. Short-term visa (VC), visas, which will allow stay in Ukraine for less than 90 days within 180 days. This visa will be issued as a one-entry, two-entries and multiple-entries valid for the period usually 6 months (maximally up to 5 years).
3. Long-term one-entry visa (VD), visas, which could be issued for applicants entering Ukraine with the purpose of obtaining documents permitting stay in Ukraine for the period of longer than 90 days. Within 45 days from the moment of entry to Ukraine a holder of long-term one-entry visa should legalize his status in Ukraine (apply to relevant authorities in Ukraine for a permanent/temporary residence permit/accreditation).
The following documents should be presented as a ground for this type of visa
Visa for another country if it is required or air ticket
Confirmation of international transit person or goods.
Valid license on international freight.
The following documents should be presented as a ground for these types of visa
Original letter of invitation on the blank of relevant office of the State Immigration Service of Ukraine.
The documents confirming the touristic purpose of travel (original touristic voucher of relevant touristic agency/touristic agreement, booking or payment of hotel services, booking of excursions, two-way tickets, etc).
Original Letter of Invitation from Ukrainian ministries or other state or governmental bodies.
Original letter from foreign state or governmental bodies as well as international organization.
Medical treatment Purpose
Original Letter of Invitation from Ukrainian hospital/clinic.
Document which confirmes the registration of investment to the economy of Ukraine (no less than 50 000 USD).
Letter-invitation from the Ministry of social policy of Ukraine for individuals who provide a Humanitarian aid.
Original letter of invitation from Ukrainian religious churches/organizations accompanied by the letter of Ministry of culture of Ukraine which confirms the state registration of the religious body and religious purpose of travel.
Original letter from top-official of the foreign mass-media on visa for journalist who will care his duties in Ukraine.
Originally was born in Ukraine
The document of foreign Ukrainians (Posvidchennia Zakordonnogo Ukrainca ) or Certificate of birth in the territory of Ukraine.
Employment (code of visa D – 05/04)
Employment authorization document – (DOZVIL NA PRATSEVLASHTUVANNIA) in the name of the applicant issued by the Ukrainian State Center of Employment and obtained for him/her in advance by the employer in Ukraine or employment contract (for some categories of applicants stipulated in the Law of Ukraine of Employment – sportsman, teachers, etc).
Immigration (code of visa D – 06)
Copy of the Permission to immigrate in Ukraine issued by the State Immigration Service of Ukraine.
Official/Diplomatic Purpose (code of visa D – 01)
Original letter from foreign state or governmental bodies as well as international organization (for staff of foreign missions in Ukraine and their family members who entitled to accreditation at the MFA of Ukraine).
Study visa (code of visa D – 04/12)
To obtain Ukraine’s entrance visa (student visa) it is necessary to submit to the Embassy the documents as follows:
– an original letter of invitation to study on the blank of the Ministry of education of Ukraine;
– an education certificate along with grades (an original and notarized translation into the Ukrainian or Russian language);
– a birth certificate (an original and notarized translation into the Ukrainian language);
– a medical certificate, witnessed by an official health care facility of a student’s home country issued not later than two months prior to departure to Ukraine (an original and notarized translation into the Ukrainian language);
Above mentioned documents issued by foreign countries bodies have to be witnessed (apostilled) in accordance with para 6 of the Act of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine #1238 of August 05th, 1998.
International technical assistance (code of visa D – 01/05)
Original letter of Invitation from Ukrainian state organization which is a recipient of International technical assistance as well as the confirmation of registration of the International technical assistance project.
Religious Mission (code of visa D – 07/06)
An original letter of invitation from a Ukrainian religious organization for a foreign missionary must contain or be accompanied by a written confirmation under the signature and seal of a responsible official of the Ministry of Culture of Ukraine on Religious Matters or of the department on religious matters of a regional or city administration depending on where the sponsoring organization is registered.
Branch of foreign company (code of visa D – 05/08)
Original letter of Invitation from the branch of foreign company as well as the confirmation from the Ministry of Economy of Ukraine about the registration of the branch of foreign company.
Branch of foreign bank (code of visa D – 05/09)
Original letter of Invitation from the branch of foreign bank as well as the confirmation from the National Bank of Ukraine about the registration of the branch of foreign bank.
Branch of foreign non-governmental organization (code of visa D – 05/07)
Original letter of Invitation from the branch of organization as well as the confirmation from the registration body.
Mass-Media (code of visa D – 05/11)
Original letter from foreign mass-media which confirms journalist purpose of travel.
Cultural and Sport Exchange, Volunteer (code of visa D – 07/10)
Original letter of Invitation from Ukrainian Governmental bodies which are responsible for cultural, scientific, educational and volunteer programs in which the foreigner has to participate or the Letter from volunteer organization registered in Ukraine (under the Law of Ukraine On the volunteer organizations, the invitation organization should be enlisted in the .Register of Ministry of social policy of Ukraine (http://www.mlsp.gov.ua/labour/control/uk/publish/category?cat_id=160017)
Reunion of Family
Certificate of Marriage with the citizen of Ukraine (code of visa D – 03/13)
Document of the person who is a relative of the foreign citizen, the holder of Ukrainian Temporary Card as well as a copy of Card, or confirmation of refugee status in Ukraine, document confirming sufficient financial funds for stay in Ukraine (code of visa D – 03/14)
Above mentioned documents issued in foreign country have to be witnessed (apostilled) in accordance with para 6 of the Act of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine #1238 of August 05th, 1998.
Common border regulations:
1) a validity of passport (not to be issued more than 10 years ago).
Passport valid for at least 3 month after the expiration date of planned departure from Ukraine; including at least two blank visa designated pages.
2) any person can be denied entry to Ukraine if such order issued by Ukrainian competent authorities;
3) verification of declared purpose of travel;
4) valid medical insurance and sufficient financial for the period of intended stay and return to the country of origin or transit to a third country or guaranty to obtain sufficient financial resources in Ukraine should be presented at check-points.
In case of visa refusal, the consular fee is not refunded.
In case of need, a Consular officer may request additional documents that would in a better way specify or support the purpose of the alien’s trip or invite a certain person for an additional interview.
Grounds for visa refusal or visa cancellation
Decision on visa refusals can be made in the following cases:
1) necessity to ensure national security or public order protection;
2) necessity of health protection, protection of rights and legal interests of Ukrainian citizens and other persons residing in Ukraine;
3) availability of information about the foreigner or the stateless person in the database of persons whom the laws of Ukraine prohibit to enter Ukraine or whose exit from Ukraine is temporarily restricted;
4) travel document presented by the foreigner or the stateless person is forged, damaged, different from the original specimen or belongs to another person;
5) intentional submission by the foreigner or the stateless person of untrue information or forged documents;
6) proof of holding an adequate and valid travel medical insurance was not provided by the foreigner or the stateless person (if acquisition of such insurance is possible in the country where the application is lodged);
7) proof of sufficient means of subsistence for the duration of the intended stay or for the return to the country of origin, or for the transit to a third country, or proof of being in a position to acquire such means lawfully on the territory of Ukraine was not provided by the foreigner or the stateless person;
8) justification for the purpose of the intended stay was not provided by the foreigner or the stateless person;
9) intention of the foreigner or the stateless person to leave the territory of Ukraine before the expiry of the visa could not be ascertained;
10) revocation of the visa was requested by the foreigner or the stateless person.
A foreign citizen or stateless person who has been refused a visa, has the right to challenge the decision with the Head of the Diplomatic Mission that considered the visa application. An applicant must reapply, with proof of visa refusal, and a letter of appeal, within two months of the date of the visa refusal.
If a foreign citizen or stateless person decides to withdraw the visa application, he/she looses the right to appeal.
Visa may be cancelled by the same authority that made the decision to issue the visa.
Additional visa information
1) According to the decision of the Government of Ukraine on March 2, 2016 citizens of Australia and New Zealand, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Mauritius, United Arab Emirates, Palau, El Salvador, Seychelles, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey traveling to Ukraine for tourism have the ability to obtain permission to enter Ukraine (single entry visa) at checkpoints across the State Border of Ukraine (Kyiv Airport (Boryspil), Odesa Airport) for up to 15 days in case of presenting the documents proving the tourist nature of the trip (hotel booking, excursion booking, travel voucher or contract for the provision of tourist services, two-way tickets).
Payment for this permission to enter Ukraine (single entry visa) is 510 Ukrainian hryvna.
2) Citizens of the People’s Republic of China (PRC) travelling with tourist or business purpose may obtain single-entry visa valid for 15 days at the international airport “Boryspil” (Kyiv) and “Odesa”(Odesa).
Consular section at the airport “Boryspil” (Kyiv) works in the twenty-four-hour mode.
To confirm the tourist purpose of visit applicant/visitor must provide a hard copy in original or photocopy of one of the following documents:
– a voucher of organized group tourist trip which includes information indicating hotel reservation/place of stay in Ukraine;
– travel service contract which includes information about the hotel reservation/ place of stay in Ukraine;
– confirmation of place of stay in Ukraine.
Business purpose of visit may be verified in particular on the basis of:
– an invitation of the inviting company, issued by the territorial authority or division of Department of Migration Service of Ukraine;
– an invitation of the government authority, state institution, state enterprise, state organization;
– written request of the state authorities of foreign states or international organizations.
In each of these cases, a citizen of PRC will have to provide the document confirming the intention to leave the territory of Ukraine within 15 days after arrival date (for the duration of visa). The flight itinerary can be considered as such document etc.
Payment for this permission to enter Ukraine (single entry visa) is equivalent to 2550 hryvna (appr. 100 USD).
From 18 August, 2016 the Ministry of Foreign Affairs introduced the possibility of paying the visa fee by foreigners at the international airport “Boryspil” through banking terminals. Citizens of foreign countries who are entitled to obtaining visas at checkpoint (http://mfa.gov.ua/ua/consular-affairs/entering-ukraine/visa-boryspil), can pay the visa fee by bank cards.
Working hours of consular section at the airport “Boryspil” (Kyiv) are from 8 a.m till 20 a.m. daily.
Attention! In order to speed up the visa procedures in the airport “Boryspil” it is strictly advisable to complete in advance visa application form online http://visa.mfa.gov.ua.
Here you can check if you need a visa to enter Ukraine.
DP – holders of diplomatic passports
SP – holders of service passports